The Creu d’en Cobertella dolmen
(3500-3000 BCE - late Neolithic period)
Passage-tomb that was documented for the first time in 1912. Preserved within a farm, from which it takes its name, the dolmen was used as a pen for livestock right up until the farm was abandoned. In 1957, the archaeologist Francis Riuró carried out an excavation and restoration project on the megalith which provided information on the passage and the great mound that surrounded it. The dolmen was constructed between 3500 and 3000 BCE.
The megalith is made of large slabs of gneiss, a stone which is abundant in the immediate surroundings, which form the chamber in a trapezoidal form. The slabs that close it in, the oval cover and the antechamber are still standing. What is not visible is the passage, giving access to the chamber, which was formed by three slabs on the western side and four on the east and has been indentified by the incisions found in the rock, where the slabs were set up.
Because of its size, the Creu d'en Cobertella dolmen is considered one of the most important in Catalonia. However, the great weight of the slab covering the tomb means that the structure is delicately balanced. In order to ensure its conservation, for a few years now, a fence has prevented visitors getting too close and it is stated that, for safety reasons, visitors should not climb over it.