Sant Basili de Pení
(7th - 9th Century - Visigothic/Early Medieval era)
Rural church, probably linked to a monastery at the end of the Visigothic era. Identified with Saint Basil by a document from 1408 of King Martí l'Humà, in which he indicated he was interested in the ancient vessels found near the Church, which must have been the bronze urns from the necropolis. However, these remains could also correspond to the monastic cell of Santo Tomás de Mont Pení, documented in the 10th century. For this reason, its attribution to Saint Basil is doubtful.
The plan of the building has been identified as being very primitive and could be related to the monastic trend of that period which originated from the East in the fourth century. The nave, oriented towards the East, is divided into three rectangular rooms, a characteristic feature of these ancient temples, as was the side access. The building is built with the technique of dry stone and slate slabs rows are arranged using the spicatum technique, predominant in the walls of the medieval era.
The ruins of this place were discovered by the historian from Cadaques, Jose Rahola, in 1952 and two years later, they were visited by Dr. Oliva. Years later there was an excavation project that left uncovered the remains that can be seen today: the foundations of an early medieval building of austere construction, probably with a monastic use.