Montjoi de Baix
(10th - 15th, 16th - 17th - Medieval and Early Modern Period)
The Montjoi valley has been populated since ancient times. First it was the Romans who settled here, probably in a villa that is believed to been re-used to build the monastery of Madrigul and later, in the medieval and early modern period, this farmhouse was built, currently in very poor condition after the square tower that once stood here collapsed.
Not much is known about the late-Roman villa and the Visigothic monastery rebuilt by the Abbot Atala. Also the exact location is not known, but the little historical data we have indicates that the monastery was dedicated to Santa Maria, San Salvador and San Miquel and that it was to be found on the north side of the valley, in the vicinity of the flat area that the farmhouse occupies.
With regard to the farmhouse, it consisted of two distinct buildings that were separated by a tower, probably from an earlier period. In the farmhouse located to the south, the oldest, the first floor was given over to the farmers and on the ground floor there were rooms for agricultural work: the barn; sties, vegetable plots and an oil mill. The other building was built in 1883 and was an extension of both the habitable section and the workplace. In front there was a shed for the wine vats.